We have partnered with Nourish Food School to run a programme of cooking and food education workshops for organisations who are helping to redistribute surplus food and tackle food-related issues in their local community.
Every weekday, the team at Nourish Food School are making fresh, nutritious meals for our volunteers, made with surplus food straight from our warehouse.
Food Skills Training
We have teamed up to provide food training days for all community groups who are using surplus food from FareShare North East to support their community.
The training days consist of:
- An introduction to FareShare North East, which includes a tour of the warehouse, meet the team and learn about what we do and how we do it.
- Hands-on workshop to perfect good knife skills, up-skill on different cooking techniques and understand food safety when using typical foods from FareShare.
- Work in small teams in a surplus food-cook off, guided and mentored by the Nourish Food Team.
- Share recipes in a ‘recipe share and plan’ workshop where groups are welcomed to share cooking ideas and top tips.
Lunch and refreshments are provided. Training courses begin in July 2022.
If you are interested, please express your interest on Nourish Food School’s website.
Ministry of Food Cookery Courses
We have teamed up to bring the Jamie Oliver Ministry of Food cookery course to anyone who receives food from community support organisations. This course is best suited to people where low-cost cooking is essential to their lifestyle and who are looking to: increase their cooking skills and confidence, do more with limited ingredients and reduce their household food waste. This course consists of 8 x 1.5-hour cookery classes, taking place once per week that aims to build skills and knowledge from one week to the next.
What participants will learn throughout the course:
- Essential safety and cooking techniques required to make cooking from scratch both easy and enjoyable
- To balance meals with good nutrition in mind
- To adapt recipes for ingredients that are available to participants
- Understand the importance of reducing food waste
- Understand the purpose of different food types to support good health and well-being
This course will start in July 2022 and will continue over 8 weeks. If you are interested, please express your interest on Nourish Food School’s website.
If you have any other questions, please email us at [email protected]